Monday, May 18, 2009

Get an agent!

I've found a publisher who has published
work similar to mine. I've checked out their website
and I'm convinced that my manuscript would be
a good fit. I read the submission guidelines, only to find
they do not accept "unsolicited manuscripts." Is there any
way around this? Can I send an "unsolicited" query letter?
Floundering in Florida

I advise against going directly to publishers. If you send a query, they like it, ask for a submission, like your work, and offer a contract, you're still not out of the woods. Writers without agents representing them, negotiating their contracts, bugging the publisher for royalty statements and checks etc. etc., are stuck at the end of the line. Put your energy and time into finding an agent to introduce you to that publisher. Give yourself the greatest advantage, GET AN AGENT!

No comments:

Post a Comment