Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wanting to be wanted

I just sent out my query letter to two literary agents
and both sent me polite rejection letters. Is this normal?
How do I get them to want to represent me?
Double chocolate brownies?
Just kidding! The truth is . . . no power in the universe can make an agent "want" to represent you. Your first learning curve, after you have a polished, glow-in-the-dark manuscript, is to write a stellar query that tells the agent what they need to know: can you write? do you have a great story to tell? If so, they'll want you, with or without the brownies.

1 comment:

  1. Molli, I didn't want you to feel lonely or rejected, so here I am.

    When I follow your query format, I lose a real marketing hook for my novel, i.e., that there are three women who kill pedophiles and not just one, although I definitely have a protagonist and she has two Nemeses, one of whom is her own husband.

    I'm going to post my first para in your thread on Agent Query and try to fit it within your three sentences, but it's a tight fit...doesn't seem to work.

    Now I'm off to view your perfect query examples and your evaluated queries in case something clicks for me.

    You are performing a truly valuable service on Agent Query. Thank you so much.

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete