Saturday, June 27, 2009

Query adjectives/adverbs be gone!

Agents, overwhelmed with the volume of queries received, look for any excuse to glance and dump! If your query is crammed with descriptive words—adjectives and adverbs—it will be rejected immediately. Why? Because a query filled with weak words that explain or modifiy, waves a big red flag concerning the manuscript. It's probably written in the same manner. Logical thought, donchathink?

Here’s a technique to help you ID those pesky adverbs and adjectives. Print your query letter. Use a yellow highlighter to mark adjectives, a pink one for adverbs. Does your page look like it's been kissed by a rainbow? If so, get rid of the highlighted words by replacing them and revising your sentences using powerful nouns and verbs that don't need to be explained.

Time spent in this adjective and adverb “search and destroy” mission is time well spent. It can help your query leap out and above all the rest.

4 comments:

  1. What a great suggestion, thank you!

    I think I should apply the same rule to the ms, and will, but am fearful my highlighters will run out of ink before I run out of pages. Ok, I'm kidding. Sorta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Molli
    I'm working on a graphic novel. Is the query for a graphic novel the same as the query for a literary novel? If not what are the differences? If you have any ideas or suggestions that would be great!

    Thank you
    -Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love your new blog format for query letter questions. The postings are very informative and helpful.

    Although I've been lurking around in the AQ-Query Critique Room picking up pointers, this blog is easier to read. Thanks.

    When I get a query letter I think might work, can I post it here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello -
    If I have followed all of your query rules and have still not received a positive response (other than one agent that found it interesting), do I just keep plugging along and hope for an agent that is interested enough to represent me? FYI: I do alter the queries for each agent based on what I have read about them.

    Feeling frustrated!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete